Non-fiction takes the lion’s share of sales of books made in South Africa, with fiction limited to a very small percentage of all sales of locally published books. Many locally published novels sell just a few hundred copies, making it difficult for publishers to recoup the costs of publication from sales.
Sometimes wonderful, illuminating and challenging fiction doesn’t get published because publishers are more and more constrained by market forces. Silencing these voices is damaging, as fiction is the one genre where the heartbeat of southern Africa is documented in an uncensored manner.
Accordingly, Dinaane, the only award of its kind, aims to promote new southern African fiction that speaks to both a local and international audience. It encourages new writers and new readers by publishing material which would likely otherwise not have been selected – for purely commercial reasons – by local publishers of literature.
The winning title is supported by Exclusive Books.
The winner is awarded R 35,000 and publication by Jacana Media.
• Submissions will be open until 30th June 2018.
• Although the entries must be primarily in English, we welcome innovative writing and the exploration of languages capturing the multilingual landscape in the continent and the world.
• Only permanent residents or citizens of SADC countries may apply.
• Authors must not have had a work of fiction (novel or novella) formally published prior to the award. Self published authors may apply, provided that the work was published only online and no physical copies made. Should the work be shortlisted, such online version must be taken down.
• An electronic copy of the manuscript, along with a short biography (100 words or less) and author details should be submitted to Jacana Media via our website.
In addition, three printed copies of the manuscript must be sent to Jacana Media, addressed to:
THE DINAANE DEBUT FICTION AWARD
C/O JACANA MEDIA
10 ORANGE STREET
For full details please see here: http://www.jacana.co.za/awards/dinaane-debut-fiction-award
Please ensure that you have read the rules and criteria for this award before submitting your entry, to be sure that your work qualifies.
Categories: And Other Words..., Calls for & opportunities
join the discussion: