We’d be delighted to hear from you and for you to join our conversations.
If you have any queries, comments or suggestions for AiW, you can comment directly on the blog posts of interest, or email us at: email@example.com
Africa in Words welcomes submissions for blog posts from new authors.
We are an informal and friendly editorial team made up entirely of volunteers and would be happy to discuss ideas for posts with you. You are welcome to email us with either an idea for a post or a post that is already written. Please read through posts on our site and check our About page so that you are familiar with our tone and content before submitting to us.
We are, by very definition, interested in posts that discuss any aspect of African cultural production, especially literature, popular culture, music, visual arts, theatre, and cinema. Our definition of ‘Africa’ is inclusive, and includes the African diaspora. Authors can be based anywhere in the world, especially the African continent and its diaspora, and do not need to be affiliated with an academic, or other institution.
- We are not a blog that publishes original creative writing as standalone posts, but are always interested in creative-critical approaches to thinking and making. (Again, please have a look at previously published content on our site before your approach with a piece – and remember we are always happy to discuss ideas if you’re not sure about its suitability for AiW.)
- Proposed blog posts may discuss academic research, but we also welcome non-academic content, opinion pieces, journalistic writing, reviews… etc.
All posts should be written and researched to a high standard, but suitable for a general reader.
Our content usually falls into one (or, occasionally more than one) of the following three categories:
- General posts: opinion pieces and reflections on contemporary issues or research in African cultural production. 500-1000 words. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words ‘Blog post submission’ in the subject header.
- Reviews: 500-1000 words. Email email@example.com and include the words ‘Reviews submission’ in the subject header.
- Interviews and Q&As (including our current Words on the Times Q&A series, initiated as working practices changed at the start of the COVID19 pandemic): up to 2000 words, more under exceptional circumstances. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘Interview and/or Q&A submission’ in the subject header. If you are pitching for a Words on the Times Q&A, please also ensure that this is included in the subject line of your approach. Thank you.
We reserve the right to edit and/or reject any submission.
N.b. Africa in Words is fueled entirely by the love, run by a small team of volunteers without any funding, and as such we are currently unable to pay for posts.
We aim to acknowledge your submission within two weeks and to get back to you with a decision as soon as possible; in very busy periods, this may take up to three months. Please bear with us and thanks for your interest in contributing to our site.