The Black Book Festival
Saturday 14 March, 2020
The Black Book Festival is a celebration and showcase of African-Caribbean writing and global Black writing in general. This is an event that presents the work of old and new writers, publishers, booksellers and artists.
Visitors can browse the numerous stalls on display or/and attend the varied workshops that are designed to inform and educate industry practitioners and the wider community about the book industry and how to use books to empower the African-Caribbean community.
Professor Kehinde Andrews Back to Black: Black Radicalism for the 21st Century
Reni K. Amayo Daughters of Nri
Sandra Agard Harriet Tubman: A Journey to Freedom
Michael Williams Black Scientists and inventor series
Chiemeka Nicely Innocence Tainted
Pamela R. Haynes Loving the Brothers
David Simon How to Unlock Your Child’s Genius
Derek Owusu That Reminds Me
The Lifetime Achievement Award 2020
The Lifetime Achievement Award 2020 to be awarded to Mr Eric Huntley of Bogle-L’Ouverture Publications for the work that he and his late wife, Jessica Huntley, have contributed to Black British culture, to the African-Caribbean diaspora, globally, in the fields of radical book publishing, education, cultural heritage sector, and for their pioneering grassroots community and socio-political activism.
- Selling and Distributing Books to the African American Market with Vanesse Lloyd-Sgambati (USA). 12-12.30pm.
- Afrofuturism: In conversation with science fiction writer, Chiemeka Nicely. 12.45-1.15pm
- African-Caribbean storytelling for children with Sandra A. Agard. 12.45pm – 1.15pm
- In-conversation with novelist Derek Owusu. 1.30pm – 2pm.
- Seven steps to writing a great book with Denise Roberts. 1.30pm – 2pm
- Black Radicalism for the 21st Century with Prof Kehinde Andrews. 2.15pm – 2.45pm
- Black Book Publishing: The story of Conscious Dreams Publishing.2.15pm – 2.45pm
- How to Unlock Your Child’s Genius (family workshop) with David Simon. 3.45pm – 4.15pm
- Women writers speak: Hear our Story withPamela Haynes & Sharon Fevrier. 3.45pm – 4.15pm
- In-conversation with novelist Reni K. Amayo: Daughters of Nri. 4.30pm – 5pm
- Celebrating Science Week with Black Scientists and Inventors series creator Michael Williams. 4.30pm – 5pm
- Lifetime Achievement award to Eric and Jessica (posthumous) Huntley. 5.15- 5.45pm
- Book launch: How to Unlock Your Genius Using Black History by David Simon
- Toni Morrison tribute
Book tickets here.
Free entry for children under 16 years of age.
Black Book Festival
Goldsmiths, University of London
8 Lewisham Way,
SE14 6NW, UK
Organiser of Black Book Festival
Simon Education was started in 1987 by David Simon and runs Saturday schools, online schools and home tuition service. The company also publishes the Genius series which it distributes internationally.
Categories: Announcements, News, & Upcoming
join the discussion: