THE DEEP SOUTH IN THE GLOBAL SOUTH
The Deep South in the Global South Conference is a three-day, interdisciplinary conference inviting all scholars and graduate students in the arts, humanities, and social sciences to submit critical and creative proposals that explore humanity’s interactions with and responses to an increasingly globalized world.
While the conference organizers encourage papers that place the Deep South in a global context, discussions of the many different conceptions of “the south” are also welcome.
Deadline for Proposals extended to December 20, 2016.
In particular, exploring the ways that the South, in all its various manifestations, intersects with discussions of the environment, religion, gender, class, race, sexuality, transculturation, subalternity, diaspora, resistance, and hybridity just to name a few. Here are some possible approaches to this conference theme:
- Relations between the North and the South
- (Re)defining or challenging the notion of “Global South” /”Deep South”
- The language of a global identity (Cross-linguistic/ multilingual perceptions)
- Conceptualizations of passing; ethnic hybridity
- Interethnic influences and cultural appropriations
- The politics of food
- Capitalism and academia
- Labor politics in the Global South
- Knowledge production and dissemination
- Creative pedagogies for generating/transforming learning
- Citizenship and Transnationalism
- Global feminisms; Women and nation building
- Gender equality
- World development and the environment; global warming
- International trade and finance
- The role of social media in revolution/resistance
- Urban development and gentrification
- Imperialism and subalternity
- Health and disease; Global epidemics (Zika Virus, HIN1, Bird Flu, SARS, etc
- Commodification of place; the World Tourism Organization and poverty
- Peace and Globalism; Global Terrorism
The conference organizers welcome and encourage complete session submissions as well as individual paper abstract submissions. Deadline for individual papers and complete panel submissions: December 9th, 2016. Submit all proposals to email@example.com(link sends e-mail).
Please visit our website for more information.