Africa in Words is looking for a volunteer to join our team as a resident Film Reviewer.
We have an average of 6500 readers each month from over 100 countries, with our largest readerships based in the UK, US, South Africa and Nigeria. The blog covers books, art, film, history, music, theatre, ideas and people and the ways they interact, through their publication and circulation, with societies, economies and space.
Africa in Words is looking to expand our film-related content, and the film reviewer will have the opportunity, creatively as well as practically, to help spearhead this expansion. At minimum, the Film Reviewer will be responsible for producing four ~750-word reviews of recent African films per year.
Key responsibilities will include identifying relevant films for review, writing and editing reviews, commissioning guest reviews when necessary, liaising with the current Reviews Editor to manage and schedule posts, and cooperating with the entire editorial committee to ensure the on-going success of the blog.
This is an ideal position for anyone passionate about cultural production and Africa, and interested in gaining relevant experience for a future career in publishing, the creative industries or academia.
The role would require an initial commitment of 3 hours/month for one year, with the potential for expansion, and would be unpaid: we are an entirely voluntary organisation. Applicants can be based anywhere in the world, and we strongly encourage applicants based in Africa or its diaspora.
The ideal applicant for this role will:
– be a strong writer with a firm grasp of grammar and punctuation
– be deeply knowledgeable about African film and up-to-date on the latest trends
– have good communication and inter-personal skills in order to liaise with editors, readers, and film organisations
– be computer-literate, with access to a computer and a reliable internet connection
– have strong research skills and an attention to detail
– be self-motivated (the majority of work will be done remotely via email and Skype) and enthusiastic about developing new skills
– have an active interest in blogging, culture and Africa.
To apply, please submit a covering letter, CV, and writing sample of approx. 1000 words to email@example.com, with ‘Film Reviewer’ in the email subject line.
Closing date: 30 November, 2016
Categories: Calls for & opportunities