Africa in Words (www.africainwords.com) is looking for a volunteer to join our team as Editorial Assistant.
We have an average of 6500 readers each month from over 100 countries, with our largest readerships based in the UK, US, South Africa and Nigeria. The blog covers books, art, film, history, music, theatre, ideas and people and the ways they interact, through their publication and circulation, with societies, economies and space.
The Editorial Assistant will provide administrative and editorial support to the Editors, with additional opportunities to contribute to the blog directly and to enlarge our conversations.
Key responsibilities will include managing editorial processes (including scheduling and monthly meetings), preparing content for publication, maintaining our blog pages and databases, preparing regular updates about blog referrals and views, and dealing with email queries and blog comments.
This is an ideal position for anyone passionate about cultural production and Africa, and interested in gaining relevant experience for a future career in publishing, the creative industries or academia.
The role would need a commitment of 5 hours per week and be unpaid: we are an entirely voluntary organisation. Applicants can be based anywhere in the world.
The ideal applicant for this role will:
– be able to organise and prioritise numerous tasks
– have good communication and inter-personal skills in order to liaise with editors, authors, readers, publishers and arts organisations
– be computer-literate, with access to a computer and a reliable internet connection
– have strong research skills and an attention to detail
– be self-motivated (the majority of work will be done remotely via email and Skype) and enthusiastic about developing new skills
– have an active interest in blogging, culture and Africa.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 1st April
Categories: Calls for & opportunities